Jeff's experience designing content solutions lead him to be one of our first contributors. He helped draft Makey's blueprint and is one of the best explainers of technical details we know.
If you’ve ever owned or operated a wood burning fireplace, you may also be familiar with terms such as creosote or creosote log. That’s because creosote build-up in a chimney flue can not only be problematic, it can be potentially hazardous, as well.
When it comes to wood burning fireplaces, the term creosote refers to the tarry residue that forms on the interior walls of a chimney (or chimney lining) from the smoke and gases cooling and settling. Creosote build-up is problematic because it reduces the airflow through the flue, creating conditions that lead to further creosote build-up, and causing fireplace inefficiencies. Creosote is also highly flammable and is known to cause chimney fires, leading to structural damage or worse. Additionally, there are also concerns that exposure to creosote can cause health related issues, such as skin and eye irritations.
Having a wood burning fireplace inside your home might seem like a good idea but they can quickly become inefficient and dangerous if not properly maintained. Here’s how you can reduce creosote build up and other potential problems: